Dr. Chin the Premier Las Vegas TMJ Disorders Expert
Thirty years of experience and results make Dr. Chin the “Perfect Bite ” Doctor
The term TMJ disorder refers to a variety of conditions that affect the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). The TMJ is a hinge that connects the jaw to the muscles one uses to chew. Common TMJ disorders include migraines, headaches, jaw pain, head, neck, and shoulder pain. These conditions can be very painful, and while they are usually temporary, they may recur again and again. Symptoms are often accompanied by stress, anxiety, insomnia and depression.
Dr. Chin has over 30 years of experience and success relieving TMJ symptoms without surgery and without the need for drugs. By helping you obtain the perfect bite, a Neuro-Muscular-Occlusal Balanced Bite, Dr. Chin can reduce trauma to your bite, your TMJ, and your head, neck and shoulder muscles. The proper bight helps prevent and resolve TMD symptoms and can add years to the life of your teeth, crowns, and fillings.
CALL US TODAY !!
Symptoms of a TMJ Disorder
If you experience one or more of the following, it could be a sign of a TMJ disorder. Dr. Chin can perform a thorough examination to determine the cause and extent of the problem.
- Frequent headaches
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Ringing in the ear
- Jaw pain while chewing, biting, or yawning; general stiffness or soreness of the jaw
- A sensitive or tender jaw joint
- Occasional trouble or pain opening and closing your mouth
- Unusual noises in the jaw joint when opening or closing your mouth, including clicking, popping, grinding or grating sounds
- Restriction in the movement of your jaw, including a limited range of movement and/or a “locking” feeling in the joint in either an open or closed position
- Difficulty eating hard or chewy foods because of joint pain or fatigue
- Clenching or grinding of teeth (Bruxism)
- Unexplained earaches
- Teeth that are sensitive or painful for no apparent reason
- Unexplained breaking or cracking of teeth
- Pain on the side of the head, face, neck and shoulders
- Sensitivity to light or noise
- Stuffiness or a “clogged” feeling in the ear
- Balance problems or dizziness
- stress, anxiety, insomnia and/or depression
Causes of TMJ Disorders
TMJ Disorders are still being studied by dentists and other medical professionals. The following are thought to cause or contribute to TMJ disorders:
- Diseases, including gout and arthritis
- Anxiety and stress
- Trauma – a sharp blow to the face, head, neck or jaw, or muscle strain from sharp jerking movements; e.g. whiplash
- Bad oral habits – some believe TMJ can be caused or aggravated by activities that put the jaw in stressful positions, including tongue thrusting or biting, mouth breathing, yawning, nail, lip, or cheek biting
- Bad posture habits – hunching forward when reading, cradling the telephone with your head and shoulder, overloading your shoulder with a heavy bag or briefcase
- Lifestyle habits – like too little exercise , poor sleep/relaxation or poor diet
- Bruxism – teeth clenching or grinding
- Missing teeth or a poorly fitting “bite”, sometimes revealed after orthodontics
CALL US TODAY !!
Prevention and Detection
Dr. Chin has extensive training, and over 30 years of experience and success in relieving TMJ symptoms without surgery and without drugs. He knows that prevention is the key, so Dr. Chin uses a variety of methods for TMJ/TMD/Migraine/Headache, Head, Neck and Shoulder Pain prevention. It is estimated that 90% of all women suffer from an “unbalanced bite” which can cause TMD symptoms, in addition to sleep apnea and snoring. Prevention techniques can help young and middle-aged women before they get these symptoms.
Dr. Chin uses a combination of techniques and modern technology to assess your bite, including, TScan Technology.
Dr. Chin has extensive training, and over 30 years of experience and success in relieving TMJ symptoms without surgery and without drugs.
Dr. Chin typically treats TMJ disorders with some combination of these three methods: 1. In-Office Therapy – these non-surgical techniques include
- massage trigger point therapy
- ultrasound therapy
- T-Scan – computer-assisted bite refinement
- laser therapy; and
- microcurrent therapy – which has been described as acupuncture without the needles.
2. Home Therapy
- stress reduction therapy
- Nutritional supplements; and
- Use of an advanced painless microcurrent unit that relieves sore muscles and joints
3. Appliances – Dr. Chin can treat your TMJ with special mouthpieces, including:
- neuro-muscular orthotics that position your jaw in a more relaxed position
- Orthodontic orthopedic appliances to decompress the jaw
Dr. Chin and his team would be glad to answer any questions you have about treating TMJ disorders.